The first game of this series will bring us a duel of two pitchers who haven’t performed up to their potential yet this year.
On one hand Tanaka, the ace of the Yankees staff, has been very underwhelming this season. That’s what allowing 2.07 HR/9 will do to you. His 6.64 ERA is the 2nd in the majors (behind Bartolo Colon) and even tho his 21.2% HR/FB will eventually go down, you have to start worrying about him at some point. He allowed 10 home runs on sliders so far this year, it’s still getting plenty of wiffs, but every time he hangs one or can’t burry it down enough, it gets hit hard.
For Pomeranz, the main issue is efficency. he hasn’t been hit hard that often this year. He has had a lot of trouble getting deep into starts though so the Yankees need to take advantage of that. He’s still striking out plenty of batters, but he’s allowed a hit per inning while walking about 3 batters per 9 innings. That’s not bad, but not helping the pitch count.
Here are tonight’s lineups
- Brett Gardner LF (.269, 12 HR, 26 RBI)
- Gary Sanchez C (.259, 6 HR, 15 RBI
- Aaron Judge RF (.324, 18 HR, 41 RBI)
- Matt Holliday DH (.271, 12 HR, 37 RBI)
- Starlin Castro 2B (.315, 9 HR, 31 RBI)
- Aaron Hicks CF (.321, 8 HR, 31 RBI)
- Didi Gregorius SS (.308, 4 HR, 20 RBI)
- Chase Headley 3B (.228, 3 HR, 23 RBI)
- Chris Carter 1B (.180, 4 HR, 14 RBI)
- Mookie Betts RF (.264, 9 HR, 33 RBI)
- Andrew Benintendi LF (.269, 9 HR, 30 RBI)
- Xander Bogaerts SS (.330, 2 HR, 21 RBI)
- Mitch Moreland 1B (.263, 6 HR, 28 RBI)
- Hanley Ramirez DH (.253, 7 HR, 23 RBI)
- Jackie Bradley CF (.233, 7 HR, 24 RBI)
- Christian Vazquez C (.344, 0 HR, 11 RBI)
- Pablo Sandoval 3B (.234, 4 HR, 12 RBI)
- Deven Marrero 2B (.171, 3 HR, 11 RBI)